Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Charity July 18, 2011

Hello Everyone!!

This week has been an interesting one. One of our investigators was making more progress, but her goal dropped this week because she didn't come to church :(. She is such an awesome person, but also very very busy. We had some great lessons this week, but I think she felt a little pressured and she still hasn't been able to keep her commitments. I have been praying about it and feel she needs time to ponder what we've taught. But not too long, just a few days. I have been trying to receive inspiration for her, and I know that as I keep praying and studying the Lord will let me and my companion know how to help her. I did receive the thought to teach her the basics again--obedience. And then on Sunday the topic in Relief Society was obedience and the lesson was so great! Unfortunately, she didn't come to receive it though. But Y. came with her children! I feel like we are starting to develop an actual relationship with her, which is nice! Before we really didn't know all that much about her. Her children come to English and they have invited many of their next door neighbors as well! It is great! They say I am the best teacher ever...hehehe, makes me feel happy!! We sing songs and play games and it really helps us be friends. I hope they are starting to develop some more interest in the gospel as well! We start each class with a prayer and end with one too. Also the last half an hour is a spiritual message. So hopefully we will be able to preach the gospel to the whole neighborhood! It would be great! She also really liked Relief Society this Sunday, which will definitely increase her desire to come back. The ward is really starting to befriend them and take an active role in the work. We have been having a really tough time receiving member referrals and members present at lessons (peikes) but we've made some plans with the ward correlator to change that around--for both wards. This morning we even received a member referral! It was great!

As for the RCLA work, we have started making a list of all the part member families in our wards. This past Sunday there was a beautiful baptism that completed a family. The whole family except the dad were members but 18 years later he received baptism! It was such a joyous occasion and there were many friends and family there to support him and his family. It really inspired Sister Devictoria and I to work harder to have that happen more often :).

In the study realm, I have been able to learn more about making those changes that I need to in my life. I took the challenge from zone conference and really tried to examine my life for those rough parts I need to remove. The one thing I came up with that I would like to share is just that I rediscovered that I need more charity. An increase of charity for God because if I loved God perfectly, I would always obey with exactness and rely on Him with all my heart. I love God, but I know that as I strive to know Him more, thereby increasing my love for Him, I will be able to become the daughter He would like me to be. I will be able to feel the Spirit in greater abundance and work in complete unity with my companion. I love Sister Devictoria and I am so grateful for this chance we have to serve together. She has such a desire to find those with real intent and is a hard working missionary. I was really reminded this week too that Satan wants to destroy the family--the companionships we have because he knows that will diminish our power. I decided to make an extra effort to be in unity with my companion and to cut out all of the thoughts, feelings, actions that could hinder us from being so. As I have tried to do so, I have been able to feel God's love for me so much more often and find that I do the things I should be doing out of habit instead of having to remind myself. I am excited to see what other blessings He has in store for me as I continue to change and become better.

I love you all and hope you have an awesome week!!


--Sister Brooke Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment